[FYI] linux 2.6 still not working with PReP (ppc32)

Sven Luther sven.luther at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jan 7 08:07:42 EST 2005

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 09:27:10PM +0100, Christian wrote:
> On Thu, January 6, 2005 17:27, Sven Luther said:
> >> ok. but 2.6.8 +2.6.9 won't boot for me, as it does not include the
> >> prep_pci.c fix, which was introduced in 2.6.10-rc3. i assume
> >
> > Sure, and backported to the debian kernel.
>
> now i'm confused: i've extracted kernel-source-2.6.9.tar.bz2 from
> kernel-source-2.6.9_2.6.9-4_all.deb but the prep_pci [1] fix still
> applied!
> how was it backported then?

To 2.6.8. 2.6.9 is not all that important, because 2.6.8 is what will ship
with sarge (well, 2.6.8 + a bunch of backports and fixes), and since i hadn't
much time, i didn't yet apply it to 2.6.9.

> >> http://people.debian.org/~luther/prep/d-i-2005.01.03-prep
> >>
> >> is made from a current kernel, thus containing the fix (because it's
> >> booting, upon "configure network" the network actually works too ;))
> >
> > Nope, same kernel-source-2.6.8 based one as will ship with sarge. It is
> > not uploaded yet, will probably be uploaded this WE.
>
> hm, very strange. so d-i-2005.01.03-prep is made from 2.6.8+backported
> prep_pci fix (but see my notes above), and it boots fine (network is ok,
> but no disks are found as none are attached and thus "Partition the
> Harddisk" fails)

Ah, the disk is found here with this one.

> >> i've fetched kernel-source-2.6.9 now, applied the prep_pci fix and
> >> compiled the kernel. i *had* to make changes to the debian-config
> >> (config-2.6.9-powerpc) because i am still not able to boot via disk. so
> >> i enabled CONFIG_ROOT_NFS and CONFIG_TULIP, details here:
> >
> > These should be enabled by default in the debian config though :/
>
> erm, yes, they were, but as modules only. i needed them statically
> (CONFIG_ROOT_NFS!)

I remember putting that as builtin in the 2.4 kernels. But as the 2.6 packages
are minimal kernels with most of the stuff as modules, you can still make it
work by building an initrd including them, and loading the necessary stuff. I
don't know if mkinitrd from the initrd-tools package is able to do that, but
if so, it would be best to fill a bug report aboutthis.

> > Mmm, it works well here, so maybe your scsi hardware has some problems ?
>
> no disks attached, but i will do some more tests on this tonight...

Ah, no wonder you don't see a disk then ...

I wonder if d-i is upto installing a NFS-root system, i don't think so.

> thanks for your concern,
> Christian.
>
> [1]
> http://www.nerdbynature.de/bits/hal/2.6.10-rc3/prep_pci_renumbered-2.6.10-rc3.patch