43p-140 install issues

Sven Luther sven.luther at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jan 7 01:02:51 EST 2005

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 01:19:32PM +0100, Michael Schmitz wrote:

> > > Whatever. Just thought people might want to use it to change kernel
> > > options on the fly, without invoking mkvmlinuz.
> >
> > Well, we would need at least a .udeb containing it. IF you can add it to
> > powerpc-tools, then nice. I think that maybe mkvmlinuz would be also a
>
> Does it work independently of mkvmlinuz (that is, operate on the bootable

Sure.

> files generated by mkvmlinuz)? Does it make sense for non-PREP/CHRP
> machines? Otherwise, I'd suggest adding it to mkvmlinuz.

Not, it is usefull only for prep machines, but the kernel needs patching
anyway, so i will just drop that for now.

> > candidate to be part of the powerpc-tools, not sure though.
>
> Does the mkvmlinuz trick help with bootable CDs on Macs (OldWorld), BTW?

No, it is just a small tool which do the last part linking phase of the kernel
build so you can generate chrp, prep, coff, whatever zImage and zImage.initrd.
So you can ship only yhe vmlinux, and not chip the vmlinux, the zImage.chrp,
the zImage.prep, the zImage.coff, the zImage.ppcbug and so on.

Friendly,

Sven Luther