43p-140 install issues

Sven Luther sven.luther at wanadoo.fr
Tue Jan 4 04:28:03 EST 2005

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 04:50:00PM -0000, Leigh Brown wrote:
> Ulrich Teichert said:
> > This seems to result in a different setting and the kernel is not able
> > to figure out that it is running on a serial console. According to Leigh
> > Browns, it is not possible to give the kernel parameters on boot-up,
> > unless you are using his patches, so this may be another issue.
>
> I have a patch you can use to specify parameters on the *command line*
> (e.g. boot floppy: root=/dev/sda3 ...).  However, you can always type
> parameters on the serial console as it boots (see below).

Mmm, is this one already present in the debian 2.6.8 kernel packages ? If not
we would probably want to include it. I am currently preparing a bunch of prep
patches, so it is a good idea to include this one too. How is it related to
the below command line prompt thingy ...

> > But this is how far the default kernel (which is all I can load from CD)
> > boots:
> >
> > 0 > setenv load-base 1000000  ok
> > 0 > setenv real-base c00000  ok
> > 0 > boot cdrom:
> >
> > loaded at:     01000400 01492FF4
> > relocated to:  00800000 00C92BF4
> > zimage at:     0080A94C 0093E3DC
> > initrd at:     0093F000 00C884AE
> > avail ram:     00400000 00800000
> >
> > Linux/PPC load: console=ttyS0,9600 console=tty0

... This one i mean.

> *** This is the point you get 5 seconds to start editing the parameters.
> I guess if you specify root=/dev/ram0 or something then it will boot
> from the ramdisk, rather than trying to boot from /dev/sda3.

d-i is perfectly happy to just boot without any argument.

> > Uncompressing Linux...done.
> > Now booting the kernel
> > Total memory = 256MB; using 512kB for hash table (at c0300000)
> > Linux version 2.6.8-powerpc (sven at pegasos2) (version gcc 3.3.5 (Debian
> > 1:3.3.5-2)) #1 Thu Dec 9 10:27:54 CET 2004
> > PReP architecture
> [...]
> > VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown-block(8,3)
> > Please append a correct "root=" boot option
> > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,3)
> >  <0>Rebooting in 180 seconds..
>
> Other than that, it's a nice clean boot.

Indeed.

> > [del]

> > This is not enough. You need to set the kernel arguments with Leigh's
> > preptool (which is a simple perl script), because of the problems
> > mentioned before.
>
> Well, you need to have my patch for that.  There are other ways to
> manually change the boot arguments (like hexedit etc).

Could you post it ? Anything else you are aware that we should add in our
2.6.8 powerpc kernels which is PReP related ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther