new binutils breaks "tlbie" instruction in kernel?

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Feb 4 11:55:08 EST 2005

> On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 12:39 -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:
>> The "tlbie" instruction has a bit which may be set to indicate regular
>> or large page size.  This used to be set via an optional second
>> parameter.
>>
>> Apparently some time between binutils versions 2.15.91.0.2 and
>> 2.15.92.0.2 a change went in to make this second parameter mandatory,
>> which breaks the kernel ppc code.

> Wasn't it fixed ?
>
> Ben.

My patch indeed was backed out.  If ever I find the time I'll get it
back
in though, but without affecting tlbie (the syntax for tlbie is
different
when you look at the PEM or at the Books; the patch was supposed to
handle
a problem in the cmpXX insns only).  Someone should get the PEM and the
architecture books back in line ;-)

Segher