PowerPC + SMP

Stuart Yoder stuart.yoder at conformative.com
Wed Apr 27 05:07:36 EST 2005

We've run into a few issues with U-boot, but they are not unsolveable--

-it doesn't provide an alternate execution path for the 2nd CPU when it
is started by the kernel
-U-boot needs to detect which CPU is executing
-U-boot on the 2nd CPU should not execute any platform/board specific
setup code-- this is stuff you only want to do once
-U-boot on the 2nd CPU cannot relocate itself to SDRAM because Linux is
already running there and assumes it owns all of memory
-it needs some way of getting to the Linux kernel entry point for
secondary CPUs
-it also appears that it should set up HID1 (other stuff??) for SMP
systems

Stuart