Interrupt disabling design

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Apr 8 09:58:36 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 12:23 +0200, Garcia Jérémie wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I'm trying to emulate a VxWorks-designed application under a linux montavista environment.
> In this application I have critical portion of code which need the interrupts disabled as below:
>
> -------------------------------------
>   lockKey = OSIntrLock();some
>     .
>     . // my critical code
>     .
>   bsos1IntrUnlock(lockKey);
> -------------------------------------
> As you can see we use an OS encapsulation layer which is used to call the OS routines:

On Linux, you can disable interrupts only on the current CPU. If your HW
is SMP, that cannot work, you need to complement the interrupt disabling
with a spinlock.

> ----------------------------
> int OSIntrLock(void)
> {
>   return (intLock());  // vxWorks routine
> }
>
> void OSIntrUnlock(int lockKey)
> {
>   intUnlock(lockKey);  // vxWorks routine
> }
>
> Furthermore, I'm running my "VxWorks emulator" in the user-space and I'm not allowed to modify files others than the OS encapsulation layer ones.
> So, how can I use the "cli() / sti()" functions from the user space as below:

You cannot. Never. Forget it. If you ever need to actually disable
interrupts, you have to be a kernel driver. Period. Wrong model.

Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh at kernel.crashing.org>