New mailing list specifically for embedded PowerPC development

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Sat Sep 25 02:41:46 EST 2004

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 01:52:00AM -0400, Dan Malek wrote:

> On Sep 23, 2004, at 9:22 PM, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
>
> >I think ultimately the problem is that the embedded list ends up
> >generating a *lot* of traffic, and that traffic ends up drowning out
> >non-embedded topics.
>
> This was the reason the list was created years ago.  People got tired
> of reading my comments and few people were involved in embedded
> development at that time :-)  People with no interest in embedded didn't
> want to hear about it.

I would dare say that a few years ago the embedded side was a bit
smaller than today :)

> I don't know why anyone would care if they have to subscribe to
> multiple lists to get the information they need.  There isn't any need
> to cross post and I don't think this is done very much or at all.  There
> have been a few times early in the -embedded days that I have taken
> topics from the embedded list to the -dev list, but this isn't necessary
> any more because the interested parties are on both.

Well, it's not exactly obvious to new people why exactly the 'dev' list
isn't for embedded development.  It also helps foster the notion that
'those embedded folks just go off and do their own thing'.

--
Tom Rini
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/