Linux-2.6.9-rc2 kernel build for mvme5100

Matt Porter mporter at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Sep 23 02:47:56 EST 2004

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 09:33:09AM -0700, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 08:55:41AM +1000, David Gardiner wrote:
>
> > Okay I took a different way, looking at the code and having lots of
> > problems trying to get it to compile and the similarity between the
> > PowerPlus series I compiled a pplus kernel with the default config and
> > the patch above and it booted, yeah, and dumped bits to the console, on
> > an mvme2604.
> >
> > So I made some changes Kconfig so that MVME5100 and PPLUS were basically
> > the same ( The architecture for the 5100 and pplus are similar, so why
> > was the code separated? arrgh I'm about to be burnt to a crisp, but if
> > we don't get our fingers burnt we never learn) which the patch for is
> > attached. This patch also allows the selection of nvram which I want
> > also and it seems to compile no matter what you select, which it didn't
> > before. And so selecting MVME5100 it booted and dumped bits to the
> > console, yeah.
>
> I _think_ the answer is simply that the mvme5100 work predated the
> CONFIG_PPLUS work.  If you can come up with a patch that adds mvme5100
> support to CONFIG_PPLUS, we can get rid of the MVME5100-specific stuff.
> (And, if you do, please look at Documentation/SubmittingPatches and the
> Developers Certificate of Origin).

This is true. When Randy Vinson did the CONFIG_PPLUS work, he decided
to initially just gather up all the boards that were covered (in a
suboptimal fashion) under PReP. The idea was to bring the other
standalone boards into CONFIG_PPLUS in the future, but nobody has
gotten around to it...until now, apparently.

-Matt