Linux-2.6.9-rc2 kernel build for mvme5100

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Sep 22 01:48:46 EST 2004

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 11:15:20AM +0200, Marius Groeger wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Matt Porter wrote:
> >>Did you disable CONFIG_VT, if it was enabled?  Otherwise you need to
> >>pass console=ttyS0
> >
> >and on recent kernels, you need console=ttyS0,9600 on boards like
> >this that use 9600 baud. Baud rate used to default to 9600, but
> >no longer.
>
> So what IS the default then? Until today, I thought you don't necessarily
> need a console= argument at all. See Documentation/serial-console.txt:
>
>    If no console device is specified, the first device found capable of
>    acting as a system console will be used. At this time, the system first
>    looks for a VGA card and then for a serial port. So if you don't have a
>    VGA card in your system the first serial port will automatically become
>    the console.
>
> Are you saying that you should always pass console=...?

Double checking my facts here, it's not CONFIG_VT per-se, but
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE.  The problem is that VT_CONSOLE will register before
anything else, even if no video hardware is found.  Now getting a bit
simplistic, if you don't want VT_CONSOLE, you don't want VT, so...

--
Tom Rini
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/