Linux-2.6.9-rc2 kernel build for mvme5100

Marius Groeger mgroeger at sysgo.com
Tue Sep 21 19:15:20 EST 2004

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Matt Porter wrote:

>> Did you disable CONFIG_VT, if it was enabled?  Otherwise you need to
>> pass console=ttyS0
>
> and on recent kernels, you need console=ttyS0,9600 on boards like
> this that use 9600 baud. Baud rate used to default to 9600, but
> no longer.

So what IS the default then? Until today, I thought you don't necessarily
need a console= argument at all. See Documentation/serial-console.txt:

    If no console device is specified, the first device found capable of
    acting as a system console will be used. At this time, the system first
    looks for a VGA card and then for a serial port. So if you don't have a
    VGA card in your system the first serial port will automatically become
    the console.

Are you saying that you should always pass console=...?

Regards,
Marius

--
Marius Groeger <mgroeger at sysgo.com>
SYSGO AG                      Embedded and Real-Time Software