SCC UART configuration - GSMR_H[RFW]

Jeff Angielski jangiels at speakeasy.net
Thu Oct 21 11:28:28 EST 2004

While debugging my SCC UART stall/hang I noticed that the GSMR_H[RFW] is
not being initialized when the SCC is configured for UART mode.
However, in the MPC8260 documentation that I have it specifically says
in Table 20-1 GSMR_H Field Descriptions, "This configuration must be
chosen for character-oriented protocols such as UART."

I checked all of these kernels and none of them set this bit: kernel.org
2.4.27, current 2.4.x DENX, and the kernel.org 2.6.8.1.

Was this done on purpose?  Is the documentation wrong?

FWIW, I noticed that u-boot sets this bit when it initializes the SCC
for UART mode...

Jeff Angielski