TEST: Sleep suppport for iBook G4 & Aluminium PowerBooks (ATI based)

Sean Neakums sneakums at zork.net
Sun Nov 21 09:41:06 EST 2004

Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh at kernel.crashing.org> writes:

> On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 21:47 +0000, Sean Neakums wrote:
>> > http://gate.crashing.org/~benh/albook-ibookg4-sleep-2.diff
>>
>> I tried this on my 15" AlBook (one of the new 1.5GHz ones), applied to
>> Debian's 2.6.9.  It suspended and resumed fine (and quickly!), but
>> after resume I noticed that images (in Mozilla and the root window)
>> would become corrupted if obscured and made visible again, e.g. by
>> switching tabs, or by moving between a full and an empty workspace.
>
> Do you have APM emulation enabled in the kenrel config and do you
> have /dev/apm_bios ? (check in X log that it properly opens the APM
> device and gets notified of suspend and resume events).

It was built modular but not loaded, and /dev/apm_bios was present.
Having exited X, loaded the module and restarted X, I tried
suspend/resume again.  It worked well as before, but the corruption is
still present.  In XFree86.0.log, I now see a "(II) Open APM
successful" instead of "(WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such
device) ", but nothing that seems to relate to suspend/resume events.

The corruption doesn't appear immediately; it starts as a light
specking of the image and progressively getting worse with subsequent
redisplayings.