Test patch for sleep on Aluminium PowerBooks

Armando Di Cianno fafhrd at gentoo.org
Tue Nov 9 14:11:31 EST 2004

On 2004-10-27 05:50:36 -0400 Benjamin Herrenschmidt
<benh at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
> This is an experimental patch against 2.6.9. It concerns the ATI based
> Aluminium PowerBook. The nVidia based ones aren't concerned at all,
> and
> the iBook G4 will have to wait a bit more for me to get the video
> wakeup
> code right.

Hello all; a little late in responding to this, but I wanted to ask
some questions concerning possible issues I've been having.  I'm
running on an AluBook 1.5Ghz, Linux kernel 2.6.9.  I suppose this is
mainly addressed to Ben H.

Does this patch do, or should have to do, anything special to
"normalize" the mounted filesystems before sleep?  When I patched the
kernel first, I was running XFS, and of course that is notorious for
file corruptions with power abnormalities on a system.  I started to
get really odd file corruptions, where 'ls file' would should the
file, but 'ls -l file' would not.

I switched to ReiserFS (v3) now, and have seen symptoms like this
problem caused appear once more (but not to the extent that XFS showed
[where I thought my system was disintegrating before my eyes]).

Is there something that was overlooked in the patch, or something that
I'm overlooking that needs to be done?

If filesystems do not need to be "normalized" at sleep, what
filesystems are known to work?  (Hesistant about ext3, as it's quite
slow, imho, but I'll go that route if needed, I suppose).

Thanks!

__Armando Di Cianno