IBM 750GX SMP on Marvell Discovery II or III?

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Wed May 12 20:26:19 EST 2004

> Are you sure? Since the cache lines are in the other processor memory,
> they will be flushed to RAM when they are fetched by the processor,
> provided that you can force the coherence bit on instruction fetches
> (this is possible IIRC).

Coherency of the data cache lines is one thing... getting the icbi
broadcast is another. Normal coherency will not help if you don't get
the icache of the other CPU to snoop your icbi and invalidate the trash
it has in its icache.

> As I said, I believe the real problem is multithreaded applications.

Which isn't a simple problem...

--
Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh at kernel.crashing.org>