IBM 750GX SMP on Marvell Discovery II or III?

Dan Malek dan at embeddededge.com
Wed May 12 01:46:07 EST 2004

On May 10, 2004, at 11:03 PM, Paul Mackerras wrote:

> ......According to page
> 2-63 of the MPC750 users manual: "Of the broadcast cache operations,
> the MPC750 snoops only dcbz, regardless of the HID0[ABE] setting."

But, read the following sentence.  "Any bus activity caused by other
cache instructions results directly from performing the operation on
the MPC750 cache."  A dcbz has to be broadcast, others do not because
their operations appear just as standard load/store ops.

The only thing we should have to do in software is the icbi, which is
no big deal to broadcast.

My experience has been that MPC750s work in a SMP environment
on a 60x bus.  Maybe I was just lucky?  The way I read the manual,
they should work with a proper memory controller.

Thanks.

	-- Dan