Root Drive Mirroring and LVM.

Atro Tossavainen atossava at cc.helsinki.fi
Tue Mar 23 18:27:30 EST 2004

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:23:17 -0600, linas at austin.ibm.com wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 12:42:18PM +1100, Neil Brown wrote:
>
> > I personally think auto-detect is the wrong approach and have no
> > desire to extend it to other partition types (I cannot remove it from
> > DOS partitions as that breaks back-compatability).
> > Just use "md=..."
>
> What's wrong with autodetect?  Its saved my butt a number of times.
>
> My recurring nightmare is involves a failed ide controller.  If the
> failed controller is on the motherboard, then plugging in a store-bought
> ide controller causes the BIOS to "randomly" renumber to hard drives.
> (yes, sorry this is a PC issue, but I would guess that similar issues
> lurk in open firmware, etc).

Indeed.  Speaking for myself only, the whole issue has only come about
because somewhere after 2.4.20, the handling of Promise add-on IDE
controllers was changed so that where the Promise hard drives on the
Apple Xserve were previously /dev/hde to /dev/hdh and the "mainboard"
IDE (which only handles the CD-ROM) was /dev/hda to /dev/hdd, their
internal order is now reversed, and for some reason I am unable to get
the metadevice to work after the change (so am effectively unable to
update my kernel as root is on md).

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,