how to read/write registers of CPU or Device from user space

Hollis Blanchard hollisb at us.ibm.com
Tue Jan 13 02:31:51 EST 2004

On Jan 12, 2004, at 7:48 AM, Muhammad Sarwar wrote:

> From user space access, use mmap.

To elaborate a *little* more, you can mmap /dev/mem to get a view onto
the physical address space. (Note that it won't work for RAM, but
that's not what you're trying to do anyways.)

This won't help you to read the CPU's registers, but what are you
looking for there?

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center