ibook G4 Status Report

Costantino Pistagna cpistagna at vrlteam.org
Thu Feb 12 03:44:04 EST 2004

On Feb 9, 2004, at 10:10 PM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

>> Since my ibook is a 12" equipped, i really need to use the video
>> output
>> with my 17" LCD.
>>
>> Any clues ? and/or usefull start point ?. i've tried to look inside
>> xfree drivers sources,
>> but without any good results. Seems that radeon9200 does not provide,
>> any type of
>> multiple screen support.
>
> You have a VGA or DVI output ? VGA I think ? It should work with
> Michel Danzer packages but it will be an analog output, not as good
> as a fully digital.

yep, you're right! I was unhappy in my previous message. I've an analog
VGA
monitor connected to my ibook. All i want to do is use my external CRT
monitor
with X or consoleFB. I've googled for "Michel Danzer", but without any
success at all.
any clues ?

> XFree doesn't drive properly a DVI output on a laptop yet, though
> I got it to work with a small userland hack I use to "fix" the chip
> after X configured it ;)

no matter for DVI output, yet. thanks at all.

> Note that you may also have a problem with XFree not setting the proper
> divider for your internal panel when used without UseFBDev. Same issue,
> I have a userland "fix" for that since fixing it in XFree itself isn't
> quite simple at this point.

I've noticed this problem. the only way to get XFree working properly,
is
to use the UseFBDev directive into XF86Config. Unfortunately, this
directive
seems to get in troubles with dualhead XF86Config (i've used the one
that i'm
using in my desktop, equipped with a Rage128): the panels are waiting
for
something with a black screen. If it's usefull, i'm using an XFree
4.3.0 binary
merged with gentoo/ppc.

cheers,
--
[ Costantino Pistagna (PhD) :: unict :: dmi ]
[ gpg key on pgp.mit.edu :: keyid  1d67b4dd ]