XServe G5 and Linux ?

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Feb 9 05:05:39 EST 2004

Hi!

I currently have the requirement for some 1U servers running linux, but
specifically being not x86.  So apart from the sparc64 systems, there's
of course the Apple XServe.

I have a couple of questions though:

1) Does anybody have experience running linux on the current G5 Xserve?
2) Does the 32bit PPC arch run in SMP on a dual G5 Xserve?

And a minor curiosity at the end:  Are there any plans to include Apple
G5 support into the linux ppc64 arch at some point?

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not 'demanding' anything.  I just
want to get some information... and information about the linux
ppc/ppc64 kernel development to be almost non-existent on the net.

Thanks!

--
- Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org>               http://www.gnumonks.org/
Programming is like sex: One mistake and you have to support it your lifetime