Kernel Panic in 2.2.x

linas at austin.ibm.com linas at austin.ibm.com
Sat May 31 02:34:02 EST 2003

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 11:20:50AM -0500, Hollis Blanchard wrote:

> On Friday, May 30, 2003, at 11:11 US/Central, Hawkins Jeffrey-CJH016
> wrote:
> >>
> >> With respect to responses, please don't say go to the 2.4.x Kernel
> >> as a solution for the Issue....:)  This is in our plans, but
> >> at this time,
> >> we are locked into the 2.2 Kernel due to Proprietary Hardware Driver
> >> Support.  For the short term, I just want to identify the true root
> >> cause (to appease the Management Gods), and to possibly implement
> >> a short term fix until we migrate to the 2.4.x or 2.6 Kernel.
>
> Hi Jeff, I know it's important to you, but I would be pretty surprised
> if you could interest anyone else with a 2.2 bug. :) You may want to

I did read in slashdot about some group that was planing on supporting
version 2.2 indefinitely.

Its not a bad idea ... I run a 2.2 kernel on a server; I haven't switched
to 2.4 because the particular tool that I need was never ported to 2.4.
I occasionally think about doing the port myself, but time constraints
& all ... I'm expecting to keep that server on 2.2 forever, or at least
till the hardware dies.

Latest & greatest is only the best if you are a developer.  For users,
old-trustworthy is usually a much better bet.

--linas