set_rtc_time() cleanup / normalization

Gabriel Paubert paubert at iram.es
Thu May 15 20:45:42 EST 2003

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 10:32:12AM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Thu, 15 May 2003, Richard Zidlicky wrote:

> > > This model is already broken by the fact that you read the time
> > > early in boot to get reasonable initial values. So I don't buy
> > > at all this argument.
> >
> > reading it early during boot is a bit different, no worry about
> > interrupts, long delays etc. Also this could be actually done
> > by accessing /dev/rtc.
>
> Actually this breaks on machines where the RTC is on i2c, since i2c wasn't
> initialized yet.

Well, that's tough, it should at least be read before the first
userspace program is sorted. Could it be read and passed from a
bootloader with a botinfo record (repeatedly read the clock until
you cross a second boundary and get the timebase at this point).

Something like BI_CLOCK
struct bi_clock {
	unsigned long timebase;
	unsigned long tv_sec;
}

Reading the clock is easy under OF, don't know about others.

	Gabriel