Wake-on-LAN on PowerBook G4

Greg Allen gallen at arlut.utexas.edu
Tue Feb 25 06:45:13 EST 2003

I have a PowerBook G4, 1GHz. Wake-on-LAN works fine under MacOS X,
but seems to be ignored on Linux.

My guess is that this belongs in
    drivers/macintosh/via-pmu.c, at about line 2070:

   /* Tell PMU what events will wake us up */
   pmu_request(&req, NULL, 4, PMU_POWER_EVENTS, PMU_PWR_SET_WAKEUP_EVENTS,
     0, PMU_PWR_WAKEUP_KEY |
     (option_lid_wakeup ? PMU_PWR_WAKEUP_LID_OPEN : 0));

Several other options for wakeup are listed in include/linux/pmu.h,
but Wake-on-LAN is not one of them.

I'd like to make this work and am willing to try, but need more info.
Questions:

Is this the right place, and there's just a PMU_PWR_WAKEUP_LAN bit missing?
Does anyone know what that bit is? Perhaps Apple doesn't tell us.
Is there a MacOSX program that dumps this PMU register, so I can
twiddle the setting and see if a PMU bit changes?

Any advice greatly appreciated. If there's a more appropriate list,
please let me know.

Thanks,
-Greg
--
  Gregory E. Allen, MSEE Engineering Scientist
  Applied Research Laboratories: The University of Texas at Austin