Patch moving latest linux-galileo common & ev64260 code to 2_4_devel

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Feb 7 06:37:46 EST 2003

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 04:47:20PM -0700, Mark A. Greer wrote:
> Tom Rini wrote:
>
> >Also, I would really like to see the if/else of PPCBoot go away in favor
> >of something like parsing PPCBoot, if it exists, and if not setting up
> >things the 'other' way.  ie:
> >platform_init(...) {
> > if (r3 == ppcboot)
> >   parse_ppcboot()
> > else
> >   find_things_out()
> >}
> >
> >find_things_out() {
> > bd_t.memsize = gt64260_find_end_of_memory();
> >}
> >
> >IOW, if we don't have PPCBoot and it's 'bd_t', fill it out.[1]
>
> I suppose but there is code that can be ifdef'd out which makes the
> executable smaller.  Isn't it worth keeping them for that reason?

That's the exact opposite of what I intended, actually.  I want
CONFIG_USE_PPCBOOT to go away.  For example, in
gt64260_eth.c::gt64260_eth_init yoou do:
#ifndef CONFIG_USE_PPCBOOT
 else {
   return -ENODEV;
 }
#else
  ... magic to find an enet addr from PPCBOOT
#endif

IMHO, this should all be:
  if (gt64260_info_struct.enet_addr)
    memcpy(..)
  else
    return -ENODEV

And so on.  Convert the bd_t into a 'generic' struct, fill it out with
what PPCBoot passes, or is gleaned from the cmdline, or bi_recs of stuff
gleaned from i2c, or whatever.

--
Tom Rini
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/