Console on frame buffer for mpc823

Jan Damborsky jan.damborsky at devcom.cz
Wed Aug 6 20:17:32 EST 2003

Dear Wolfgang,
primarily thank you for your help. But I have not
been lucky to solve my problem. May be I have
old kernel version - 2.4.3.

>>I use custom board with MPC823 and TFT display
>>connected directly to TFT processor interface.
>>I would like to use display as console on framebuffer
>>when booting and running Linux.

>>How to make kernel use console on /dev/fb/0 ?
>>

>You have to configure the kernel to use the  framebuffer  as  console
>device. Check especially the following configuration options:
>
>	CONFIG_FB=y
>	CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
>	CONFIG_FBCON_ADVANCED=y
>	CONFIG_FBCON_CFB8=y
>	CONFIG_FBCON_FONTS=y
>	CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
>	CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y
>	CONFIG_VT=y
>	CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
>	CONFIG_CONSOLE_NOBLANK=y
>	CONFIG_CONSOLE_NOCUR=y

I have set all this CONFIGS_xxx except for CONFIG_CONSOLE_NOBLANK and
CONFIG_CONSOLE_NOCUR which are not supported in this kernel version.

>Also, see the FAQ at
>http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/NoInputUsingFramebuffer

I have tried *console=tty0* and *console=tty* on command line,
but output is always on *ttyS0* serial console even
during booting message *Console: switching to frame buffer device*
appears.
When trying *cat /etc/group > /dev/tty*, it is send to serial line. Is
it correct ?
How to test that frame buffer is assigned to text console ?

BTW:
[1] CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE is set - it is hardwired
     to CONFIG_8xx - may be it is problem - isn't it ?

                                      Thanks for help , HANYS