ibook2r2 & strange freeze.

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Sat Apr 26 03:50:26 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 19:43, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > By unstable I mean that the computer completely freeze during boot time,
> > around the time rc.sysinit is launched. Unfortunately I'm rather new to
> > linux kernel so I don't know how to provide more information on the
> > crash (maybe should I configure the kernel with xmon ?).
> > In a divide&conquer approach I found that the part of rc.sysinit which
> > 'uploads' the console font to the font layer was triggering the crash.
>
> Can you try 2 things and let me know if one of them helps ?
>
>  - Compile without CPUFREQ support
>  - Use video=radeon:noaccel on the command line to disable acceleration
>    on console

Also, it would be helpful if you could go backward the kernel
versions to point when the problem started. You could try
2.4.20-ben1. If it doesn't have the problem, then -ben5, etc...
(do a dichotomy).

If -ben1 is affected, then we'll need to do something different

(Patches are available on kernel.org)

Ben.