Missing iBook HD driver?

Ethan Benson erbenson at alaska.net
Sun Sep 22 07:26:12 EST 2002

On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 01:52:19PM +0200, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> >After corresponding with Ben H. on this and doing some testing
> >I reached the conclusion that:
> >
> >If you have a dvd/cd-rw combo drive on a 600 mhz ibook the
> >stock 2.4 kernels will not recognise it. Ben has fixed this in
> >his kernel and I found an old reference in the faq-o-matic
> >(to an iMac) that you can work around it by specifying
> >
> >hda=16383,16,63
> >
> >as a kernel arg when booting from the install cd. I thought
> >I'd drop the info here so others can search it out when they
> >run into the same problem...
>
> I don't recommend the kernel arg thing. There is indeed
> a workaround that seem to work properly in my current tree,
> I'll try to get that merged upstream.

booting without any CD in that drive will also fix the problem.  that
of course means for initial install you need to boot via tftp or so,
unless your fast enough to remove the CD right after yaboot reads the
kernel, but before the kernel gets far enough to puke (that may not
work anyway).

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/