Sungem with iMac Rev-B

benh at kernel.crashing.org benh at kernel.crashing.org
Wed May 1 04:20:46 EST 2002

>> No, you mismatched bmac and gmac. The sungem driver obsoletes
>> the gmac one, not the bmac one.
>>
>> The bmac driver currently don't have PHY control. This could
>> eventually be added, since I beleive we actually know how to
>> tap the PHY registers when available. Though this need some
>> work and I have no hardware to test on, so I'd rather see
>> someone who has do the job ;)
>
>Throw some hints (what to write where, approximately) my way and I might
>give it a shot.

Well, driver side, look at the ethtool ioctl implementation in sungem, and
do something around those lines. You probably first need to properly detect
the PHY type by reading the 2 PHY_ID registers, then act depending on the PHY.

sungem has a mecanism that tries to fallback to fixed settings when autoneg
fails, you may want to skip that part though as it's a bit tricky.

Normally autoneg is enabled/disabled in the PHY control register, along with
the forced 10/100 modes and duplex mode. Look at what darwin does here.

Note that all this is only valid if you have an MII PHY, I don't think the
early bmac do that (bitbanging ?). You should probably make sure you have
a bmac+ and skip all the code (return fixed speed from ethtool ioctls)
on older bmac.

Ben.