EV-64260-BP & GT64260 bi_recs

Michael Sokolov msokolov at ivan.Harhan.ORG
Wed Mar 27 13:37:29 EST 2002

Mark A. Greer <mgreer at mvista.com> wrote:

> First, we need to see if this is going to fit with everything else in
> 2_4/2_4_devel and then it will get implemented.

It would set a very bad example if it is implemented. In your proposal the
records containing the GT-64260 Ethernet information have no indication in them
whatsoever that they are for GT-64260 and not some other Ethernet. If you make
the gt64260_eth driver call a function to grab all bi_recs of this kind, the
next engineer who designs a board with other hard-wired Ethernet interfaces on
it besides the GT-64260 (like an MPC8260 + GT-64260 system) will be simply
stuck out of luck as the gt64260_eth driver will unceremoniously grab all
records for all Ethernets and there will be no way to tell which MAC address
belongs to each Ethernet.

Bad bad bad.

MS