2.4.18 and dmasound and rebooting

Michael Zucca mzucca at ne.mediaone.net
Mon Mar 4 06:22:41 EST 2002

Ok, I tried 2.4.18 from kernel.org on my PowerCenter 132 and the DMA
dead patch works. However, as a side note, it only seems to work if the
sound code is compiled into the kernel. The same code in a module does
not work and still causes the sound hang. As I recall, the way the
emergency buffer was allocated was critical to it functioning properly.
I usually compile in the sound driver so it's not a big deal for me but
it might be for other folks.

On another note, I've noticed that if I reboot my machine using shutdown
-r the machine will reboot to a gray screen and then just hang there. It
won't boot into MacOS. I've noticed that on 68k Macs, it is important to
map the ROMs back into memory before rebooting or the machine just hangs
around forever. Is it possible that we're not remapping stuff back to
its usual place before rebooting on OldWorld machines? This has been a
persistant problem for a long time on 2.4.

Thanks!