Memory leak

diekema_jon diekema at lucky.si.com
Fri Jun 21 01:06:19 EST 2002

> I'm looking for a recipe on how to track where my memory is
> disappearing to. I am running kernel 2.4.19-pre10-ben0,
> patched for the nubus-pmac platform. I have 40 MB RAM and a
> 100 MB swap file on the local hard disk.

I have a similar problem, and I have to back down to Linux 2.4.4.
Linux 2.4.8 and newer had a problem, but 2.4.4 was ok.  Somewhere
between 2.4.4 and 2.4.8 the problem appeared.  If you want more
details as to what versions after 2.4.8 that had problem I can supply
that tonight.

2.4.4 ok
2.4.8 memory leak

Our application uses a socket based network connection, and this
network activity tickled the memory leak problem.  We can run top,
and see the amount of free memory keep dropping.