can/should we use gcc 3.1 to compile kernels

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Sat Jun 8 05:38:33 EST 2002

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 01:41:12PM -0400, Kevin B. Hendricks wrote:

> Has anyone successfully used gcc 3.1 or gcc 3.1.1-pre to build actual
> working kernels and tested them?
>
> Does it work?

There's at least a few people who've done it.  Personally I'll be using
2.95.3 (or 2.95 from CVS) until forced to do otherwise, just because
it's the most well-tested compiler.

That said, if you do use 3.1, you'll get a bunch more warnings which I
don't think you can turn off, which has kind of annoyed some developers.

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/