ATI Rage Pro 128 TR

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Thu Jan 24 03:20:53 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-01-21 at 19:40, David Given wrote:

> Most screen modes make the screen go black; I suspect that the monitor's
> really a fixed-sync.

Yes, some iMacs' monitors seem to only accept modes with about 60 kHz
horizontal refresh.

> DirectFB programs cause certain programs, like syslogd, do go into D state
> --- I haven't worked out why yet. OTOH, this could be because DirectFB
> is trying to hardware accelerate the card.

Could this be the problem diagnosed by Andrew Morton as "the framebuffer
driver is failing to mark the mmapped vma as VM_IO, so the kernel is
trying to dump the framebuffer device to the core file, takes a
recursive fault and deadlocks." ?

http://kt.zork.net/kernel-traffic/kt20020114_150.html#2

> On a related note, is there a program that will reset the console back to
> text mode if my application crashes and leaves it in graphics mode anywhere?

fbset can be used to do all sorts of things with framebuffer devices. :)