ATI Rage Pro 128 TR

David Given dg at tao-group.com
Tue Jan 22 05:40:44 EST 2002

A while back I posted that I was having problems getting the video to work on
our new iMac, a blue CDROM version (how do I work out what it *actually*
is?). It uses a Rage Pro 128 TR video card, that the kernel didn't know about.

Well, I found a patch for an ancient 2.4 kernel that claimed to supported it,
hacked it into 2.4.17, cleaned it up etc, and here it is. Attached.

There still appear to be some problems, but that may be because I'm not
working it correctly. Most screen modes make the screen go black; I suspect
that the monitor's really a fixed-sync. DirectFB programs cause certain
programs, like syslogd, do go into D state --- I haven't worked out why yet.
OTOH, this could be because DirectFB is trying to hardware accelerate the
card. However, leaving the standard screen mode and just changing depth works
fine.

I noticed that somebody else was having problems with iMac video --- perhaps
this will help.

On a related note, is there a program that will reset the console back to
text mode if my application crashes and leaves it in graphics mode anywhere?

In related news, my earlier problem about strange SIGFPEs for no apparent
reason may be an artifact of my slighty dodgy userland threading code --- it
uses sys_sigreturn to change the register set of the process. Because MSR
isn't available from userland, I was just assuming 0; this wouldn't cause a
problem anyway because the only bits I can change are FE0 and FE1 anyway, and
my app doesn't use floating point, right? Yeah, right.

Anyone know how I can read the current values of FE0 and FE1 from userland?

- --
David Given
dg at tao-group.com