Having linking problems with atomic_inc(), atomic_dec_and_test() in user app, help!

Kevin B. Hendricks khendricks at ivey.uwo.ca
Sat Jan 5 05:57:07 EST 2002

Hi,

One other thing, PPC implements synchronization using a reservation bit
for specific address with a special instruction pair that sets and clears
the reservation.  But the address to set/clear the reservation on is only
unique down the the cache line size (in most cases 32 bytes for ppc) i.e.
the reservation granularity.

In English, what this means is that if two counters you want to atomically
increment or decrement are stored within 32 bytes of each other and
different threads are simulataneously trying to increment or decrement
them, the reservation can get spurious clears that prevents either one
from working without more looping (i.e performance starts to suffer).

In practive I have very very rarely ever seen this problem have an impact
on anything.  Others may know more.

Hope this helps,

Kevin