new G4 dual 1 gig is here - how to install?

Kevin B. Hendricks khendricks at ivey.uwo.ca
Thu Feb 14 13:29:45 EST 2002

Hi,

I found you can easily find OF paths under MacOSX by simply issuing the
following commands from Terminal.app under MacOSX

ioreg -l

It lists the class hierarchy for the io devices and includes the of
device tree info.

So using that I was able to determine the proper OF boot path for my
scsi card:

/pci at f2000000/ADPT,2930CU at 13/@1:6,\\yaboot

So I booted into OF and simply tried it.

There is good news and bad news:

1. The good news is that it seemed to boot

2.  The bad news is that my ATI 7500 with my flat panel display simply
goes black so I can't tell exactly what is detected or not.

But I was able to login blindly and issue a proper shutdown command so
the kernel did boot properly at least to some extent.

I will try with an old VGA monitor I have to see if I can figure out
what is up.

So it looks like once we get past the DFP ATI 7500 issues, it should be
pretty easy for distributions to add support for the new PowerMacs quite
easily.

I will let people know when I actually get something working.

Thanks,

Kevin