SUNGEM config

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Feb 14 08:12:43 EST 2002

>Precisely.  That's what the ifd daemon does, it polls the device once
>every second via that ioctl in order to see whether it is connected or
>not.

Well, we have a chicken & egg problem then. I shut down the device when
the interface is down for more than about 10 seconds. At that point,
it's isn't possible to get the link state since even the PHY is powered
off. So ifd cannot detect the link up condition. Either I fake the ioctl
and return no link, or I power it back up each time, preventing basically
the chip to ever be power managed.

Ben.