asm inline

Kevin B. Hendricks kevin.hendricks at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 3 02:08:21 EST 2002

Hi,

The Sun JDK 1.3.X source is not strict aliasing safe and that has been
built on a number of platforms and compilers for a long time (I found that
out the hard way a year or two back).

Also OOo used gcc-2.95.4 for a long time (it never supported or used gcc
2.96) and still uses gcc-3.0.4 at -O1 and -O2 for its official binaries
and I do not belive that turns on strict-aliasing at all.

They will stick with gcc-3.0.4 for x86 binaries since they must maintain
c++ compatibilitiy with proprietary binary only components for StarOffice.

Either way, I sent a query to the dev at openoffice.org list to see if anyone
can bring me up to date on any known strict-alising issues.

I have always used -fno-strict-aliasing for all the JDK and OOo binaries
since I was burned by it much earlier and could not find where exactly in
the code the optimization introduced a change.

So the only people who would have any empirical eveidence as to how strict
aliasing safe the OOo code would be are probably Redhat or Mandrake who
have incorporated OOo into their distributions with a later compiler (I
think Debian still uses gcc 2.95.X as their official compiler and I am not
sure what SuSE is using now but Olaf always used gcc 2.95.X for ppc 7.3)

The Apple gcc 3.1 compiler explicitly turns off  strict-aliasing according
to their man page.   So only if the Solaris Forte or the WIN compilers
catch it will those issues already have been fixed.

Kevin