ATI 7000 and dual-monitor X? (was Re: 9600 maturity?)

Michel Lanners mlan at cpu.lu
Wed Apr 17 08:03:15 EST 2002

On  16 Apr, this message from Olaf Hering echoed through cyberspace:
>> > 1. Is the Radeon 7000 supported in XFree86? Rather, the real question
>> > is, does anyone know of any gotchas trying to run it in accelerated
>> > mode?
>>
>> ATI tends to make new cards which are really just newer revisions of older
>> ASICs.  For example, the Radeon 7200 is realy just a regular radeon with
>> 64meg DDR (and perhaps higher clocks).  So its highly possible that the
>> 7000 is a radeon VE (considering its dualhead).  If so, then it is
>> supported.  Even if it isn't, adding support should be very trivial as it
>> contains the same 1st generation Radeon ASIC.
>
> It is a VE, but I have one report where it fails on a 9600, after
> slot or the guy has to boot without video=ofonly.

legacy hardcoded VGA ports on the second bus (which as Ben explains
doesn't support that).

Can somebody please teach XFree to leave those VGA ports alone on PPC?
Are they of _any_ use on any PPC machine?

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan at cpu.lu            |