ppc LE questions (seeking help hand info pointers)

Mark Salisbury mbs at mc.com
Fri Sep 21 04:32:27 EST 2001

Brad Boyer wrote:

>>>Note that we already have a precedent: mips and mipsel, both in arch/mips/.
>>>
>>And SH too, iirc.  I know it can be done.  But do we want to do it is the
>>question.
>>

> At least in the case of SH, there's a good reason. There's an external pin
> that controls the native endianness of the processor, and most setups just
> have it forcibly pulled high or low. I suspect the MIPS is the same reason,
> since it's used in similar situations. We don't have that excuse with ppc.
> Someone would have to come up with an excuse along the lines of "existing
> hardware won't work unless we do this" like it would have been for SH.
> (I had to work with the SH4e as used by Sega in the Dreamcast...)

well, this is in the context of a multi-CPU type (x86/ppc, sparc/ppc,
ppc/ppc, mips/ppc) shared memory multicomputer.

when dealing w/ direct mapped, shared memory, uniformity of endian-ness
makes many multicomputer problems easier to solve.(not to mention easier
for the customer to program...)

--
**   Mark Salisbury | Mercury Computer Systems    **