ppc LE questions (seeking help hand info pointers)

Brad Boyer flar at pants.nu
Fri Sep 21 03:10:01 EST 2001

Tom Rini wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 06:07:48PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > >
> > > The objection to being an arch that attempts to support both LE and BE.
> >
> > Note that we already have a precedent: mips and mipsel, both in arch/mips/.
>
> And SH too, iirc.  I know it can be done.  But do we want to do it is the
> question.

At least in the case of SH, there's a good reason. There's an external pin
that controls the native endianness of the processor, and most setups just
have it forcibly pulled high or low. I suspect the MIPS is the same reason,
since it's used in similar situations. We don't have that excuse with ppc.
Someone would have to come up with an excuse along the lines of "existing
hardware won't work unless we do this" like it would have been for SH.
(I had to work with the SH4e as used by Sega in the Dreamcast...)

	Brad Boyer
	flar at allandria.com