libXrender bug crashes OpenOffice

Michel Dänzer michdaen at iiic.ethz.ch
Wed Nov 28 11:27:39 EST 2001

On Wed, 2001-11-28 at 00:47, Jason E. Stewart wrote:

> "Michel Dänzer" <michdaen at iiic.ethz.ch> writes:
>
> > On Tue, 2001-11-27 at 23:37, Jason E. Stewart wrote:
> >
> > > While running Kevin Hendrix's build of OpenOffice I kept getting
> > > Abort's for no reason. We've finally limited down to the Xrender
> > > lib. When it's not on my system, OpenOffice runs fine, with it I get
> > > crashes.

BTW how can I reproduce those crashes? No 'success' so far.

> > > Kevin found a bug in the library and fixed it and OpenOffice runs fine
> > > on his system with libXrender installed. I downloaded the latest xlibs
> > > source from sid and checked, but his patch hasn't yet been
> > > included.
> > >
> > > Will it be included soon?
> >
> > Err... and what does that have to do with Linux/PPC development? ;)
>
> Perhaps I was mistaken, but I thought that the bug only existed on
> PPC. Is this too X-specific and should be posted elsewhere?

At least I didn't see anything PPC specific in the fix you posted.

In particular though, you should submit this in a bug against the Debian
xlibs package for it to be included there.

AFAIK the fix has already been applied to the XFree86 CVS trunk, so it
will be in the 4.2.0 release. Don't know about the 4.1 branch.

PS: No, you can't build only libXrender.