TiBook, 1394, iPod working (sort of ;-)

Ira Weiny iweiny at acm.org
Wed Nov 28 10:20:51 EST 2001

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001 23:18:34 +0100
Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:

> No, you didn't ;) In fact, I even think recent MacOS (or is it MacOS X ?)
> may create pure HFS+ volumes without the wrapper.
>
> The main reason for the wrapper was for machines running non-HFS+ capable
> filesystem to display something (where are all my files gone ?) instead
> of proposing you to format the disk, and for the system to be able to
> boot from HFS+ since OldWorld ROMs didn't understand it. Basically, the
> wrapper contains a slim-fast MacOS System file which contains the necessary
> HFS+ support to mount the real volume and continue booting from that.

I think this makes sence because with Linux the HFS+ partition on my HD shows
up with the "where are all my files gone?" thing.  (Which BTW dropped me into
xmon when I vim'ed it...)  But the iPod did not show up with anything
intelligable.

Must be that the iPod is "pure" HFS+ when the other is a wrapper.

To quote a pointy eared character "Fascinating."

Thanks for the info,
Ira Weiny
iweiny at acm.org