Again with the firewire

Derrik Pates dpates at dsdk12.net
Thu Nov 22 19:28:43 EST 2001

On 22 Nov 2001, Stefan Piger wrote:

> After loading the modules, there is no /proc/ohci1394 as I remember from
> earllier versions of linux1394.
> When I plug in a firewire device the keyboard becomes unusable, but the
> machine doesn't crash, I can reboot it via ssh.
> I get no error messages in /var/log/messages.

I actually just had the same thing happen, only the entire console froze,
X and all. I don't know if the kernel was still working or not, I didn't
have another machine connected at the time. However, this is actually an
improvement for me - the ohci1394 module doesn't lock the PMU up and cause
the system to suddenly shutdown (this is a FireWire iBook). If I boot the
system with the FireWire device - a QPS CD-RW drive - plugged in, all is
fine.

Ben? The FireWire controller didn't seem to have a problem with power
management per se - I ran 'gscanbus' after a suspend/unsuspend cycle, and
it seemed to be ok with that.

Derrik Pates      |   Sysadmin, Douglas School   |    #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates at dsdk12.net |     District (dsdk12.net)    |    #linuxOS on OPN