kernel lockup

Ethan Benson erbenson at alaska.net
Wed May 16 21:00:13 EST 2001

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 11:21:54AM +0200, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> >bigfoot:~# kbdrate -h
> >kbdrate: invalid option -- h

thats interesting, kbdrate -h gives a usage message for me.. like it
should.

> >Machine check in kernel mode.
> >Caused by (from SRR1=c9030): Unknown values in msr
> >
> > What do I do to debug this?
> >
> > The machine is totally locked, not even the SysRQ combination does
> >anything.  (control+command+power still resets though, since it is handled
> >in hardware on oldworlds.)
>
> Well, I guess that kbdrate is yet another dumb x86'ism that will
> directly tap the hardware of a PC's keyboard controller...

according to the man page it trys to be portable:

[...]
       All this is very architecture dependent.  Nowadays kbdrate
       first tries the KDKBDREP and KIOCSRATE ioctls.  (The  for-
       mer  usually  works  on  an  m68k  machine, the latter for
       SPARC.)  When these ioctls fail an ioport interface as  on
       i386 is assumed.

FILES
       /etc/rc.local
       /dev/port

Linux 1.1.19               22 June 1994                         2

that fallback is probably the bugger though.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/