kernel lockup

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Wed May 16 19:21:54 EST 2001

>bigfoot:~# kbdrate -h
>kbdrate: invalid option -- h
>Machine check in kernel mode.
>Caused by (from SRR1=c9030): Unknown values in msr
>
> What do I do to debug this?
>
> The machine is totally locked, not even the SysRQ combination does
>anything.  (control+command+power still resets though, since it is handled
>in hardware on oldworlds.)

Well, I guess that kbdrate is yet another dumb x86'ism that will
directly tap the hardware of a PC's keyboard controller...

Well, I may be wrong, but machine check usually means that you are
trying to access non-existing hardware.

There should be other informations displayed about the crash. Those
should allow you to lookup the location of it in System.map

Ben.