Sound stoppage: TRIAL code to re-start DEAD dma

Kostas Gewrgiou gewrgiou at imbc.gr
Wed Mar 28 21:40:21 EST 2001

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Iain Sandoe wrote:

> > With a quick look it doesn't seem that it will work, you only need to return
> > if you restart the frame otherwise the driver will deadlock,
>
> we do restart the frame - with the:
>
>     /* may as well try anyway - I guess all bets are off now */
>     out_le32(&awacs_txdma->control, ((RUN|WAKE) << 16) + (RUN|WAKE));
>
> the difference from what you did is that I don't re-load the cmdptr register
> - we are just going to see if the current state can be resumed.
>
> It might lock up - but it's worth a try.

Nope it doesn't restart the frame, thats why we need to either reload it
and return or continue as if it played correctly.

I was wondering again today why we get the DEAD status in the powercomputing
machines everything was working fine until 2.2.9/10 (there were no changes
in dmasound at that point) so some other change is causing this i can't
imagine anything though :(

  Kostas