Console text selection bug

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Mar 6 08:35:53 EST 2001

>When I select text in console it's scrambled. I looked at the
>aty128 sources, but I didn't find anything about it. Where is
>the code that manages selection/cut/paste ?
>
>The selected text is scrambled in this way: every char has
>the bits 1,2,3 swapped with bits 5,6,7 respectively (bits
>numbered left to right). I don't know what can cause this
>strange behaviour... I thought the console screen was a
>simple array of char/colour pairs.

It's an endian bug in fbcon when accessing the text/attribute buffer.

I think someone posted a fix for it, You may have more luck asking on
the fbdev mailing list to the fbdev maintainers what's up.

I think it's related to fbcon_invert_region() not using the access
macros and directly tapping the buffer, causing attributes & text
to be messed up.

Ben.