powerbook doubles as a frying pan

Michael Schmitz schmitz at opal.biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de
Tue Jan 30 02:15:51 EST 2001

> >is everyone *totally* sure that activating the fan is entirely handled in
> >hardware? is there no
> >register for controlling the threshold?
>
> I've seen nothing in Apple's own Darwin OS related to controlling the
> powerbook fan neither. However, they do have code that use the CPU's
> temperature sensors to control the ICTC (instruction cache throttling).

Which would be not-so-useful to control the temperature of the ethernet
chip, right? The PowerPC CPU isn't the primary source of heat in a laptop.
At least not to the extend the Intel CPU would be.
CPU temperature monitoring wouldn't be too useful either - the CPU
core always runs a lot hotter than the rest of the motherboard.

But I'm mostly guessing here - has anybody stuck a couple of temperature
probes on a PB motherboard and really measured the operating temperature?
What would the best 'hot spots' be for such an experiment?

	Michael