powerbook doubles as a frying pan

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Mon Jan 29 22:01:26 EST 2001

>is everyone *totally* sure that activating the fan is entirely handled in
>hardware? is there no
>register for controlling the threshold?

I've seen nothing in Apple's own Darwin OS related to controlling the
powerbook fan neither. However, they do have code that use the CPU's
temperature sensors to control the ICTC (instruction cache throttling).

Troy have some code that allow to read the temp from /proc. However, it
looks like a lot of CPUs are so badly calibrated that the information
returned is almost useless... Maybe that's not the case in CPUs used in
portables, that's the case in some of the G4s used in dual G4s.