status of ppc support in official 2.4.0 or Alan's 2.4.0-ac1

Derek Homeier supas100 at astrophysik.uni-kiel.de
Wed Jan 10 12:09:28 EST 2001

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Iain Sandoe wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 9, 2001,  Derek Homeier  wrote:
> > On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Iain Sandoe wrote:
> >> For now, I suggest that (unless you desperately need it), - you disable the
> >> OSS stuff in your .config.
>
> > O.K., did that (I did not have ALSA enabled in the first place), and didn't
> > see the errors again. Nonetheless, xmms is still erring on the Bus
> > (i.e. crashes as soon it is started).
>
> OK.  I'm getting back up to steam - just sorting out the bk stuff :-/
>
> You might trawl the list for xmms comments - I believe that there were
> issues that others resolved.  Which version of xmms?

1.0.1

> any way of you telling me where xmms is trashing in the dmaosund driver?

Actually it seems to crash before the sound modules are even loaded, so
I'm no longer sure it is dmasound-related, but it definitely only occurs in
2.4.
Still, even without OSS enabled, sound behaves very badly. The speaker tends
to mute in the middle of playing a file, and some apps like wmapm or
wmmon mysteriously crash while sound output is active.

The "modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-1-0" and
"modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-1" messages still appear when
I'm starting gmix.

Cheers,
							Derek